Posts Tagged FIST
Pshaah. Not possible to overload on something so fun. However, it’s that time of year when the Fighting Improv Smackdown Tournament (FIST) takes hold of the City (okay, at least my corner of the world) and suddenly I realize that my calendar is full of improv. Seriously. Full. Here’s what I’m up to next week:
- Sunday – The Harold class that I TA for is having their showcase at 6:00pm. I’ll be there to take notes and cheer them on! Probably taking in other showcases before or after, since that’s a fun freebie of new talent and ideas.
- Monday – Subsidized Corn practice. At least I get to practice. Sometimes I get antsy when I just watch performances because I want to get out there so bad!
- Tuesday – Auditions for a Harold team. Yes, it’s time I finally tried out. I’ve let it slip by for a few auditions for a range of reasons (lack of confidence, 10:00 shows are too late, missed the deadline). But now the stars are aligned, and I’m ready. Plus, being on the other side of auditions when SubCo had ours was really helpful.
- Wednesday – WIT happy hour in Columbia Heights. This is one of the beau’s favorite spots, so of course I’m going. So technically, this isn’t improv, but it’s improv related.
- Thursday – Finally, I get to take the stage with my FIST team! Jules Duffy, Brandon Russell and I, aka Good Friends, will be playing on Thursday, March 15th (Beware the Ides!) at 9:30pm at Source Theater. Please come out and vote for us so we can advance to the next round!!
- Friday – A day off. Whew.
- Saturday – FIST night for me. Darnell and Nick (Mere Mortals) are on at 8:00pm and the beau (Two Beards and a Bald) is on at 11:00pm. Kind of a crappy slot to be on St. Patrick’s Day, but I’ll be there cheering them on and voting for the bestest teams!
So come out and watch with me! Or, support us on Thursday with your laughter and your votes to move Good Friends to the next round. If we advance, I will be sure to let everyone know about our next show.
See you there.
I am excited about tonight because it is a free night and I don’t get many of those anymore! And before you ask, I’m busy with all the stuff I haven’t been able to get to this week, like working late, laundry and eating, so I am unavailable to play. Booo me. I also have some SubCo marketing stuff to work on, too. It has been a wonderful week so far, and props to Sarah and Laura for their awesome stand-up routines that I saw this week!
I just looked at my calendar for the next week. Holy cow. Here it goes:
- Friday, perform improv. Subsidized Corn show at Comedy Spot in Ballston Mall at 8:00 pm. Tickets are $15.
- Saturday, practice improv. Aussie SubCo practice, and our final with our mini-coach. He’s not small, we just hired him for a few sessions. He’s been great to work with and has advanced the group tremendously!
- Sunday, strategy and photo session for improv. Meeting with my FIST team (the Fighting Improv Smackdown Tournament, a march madness style improv tourney coming in March). Details coming soon!
- Monday, watch improv. Valentine’s Day WIT show. I’ll be in the audience with a bunch of pals, and I’m excited about the line up of performers. They always bring it. Come join!
- Tuesday, more practice for improv. Our weekly Subsidized Corn practice.
- Wednesday, Date Night! (See babe, this is why I appreciate when you plan in advance! Thank you!)
I noticed the other day that I’m getting better, so at least practice is paying off! And if this weren’t so fun, I would probably ask for an intervention. Seriously. But it IS fun, and I’m hanging out with my friends, being creative and spending time with fun people. It’s also helping to reduce any performance anxiety about traveling around the world to perform. I’m feeling prepared, and we’ve worked hard. We are almost ready…well, once we add Goli in the mix!
After I return from the Subsidized Corn roadtrip and our Kernels for Carolina shows in Lenoir, NC, I’ll probably take a break from the improv to clear my head for four days, until I leave for Australia, where I will be practicing, watching and performing more improv!
Aussie Vacation: Reason 1, take a break from a crazy improv schedule!